Monday, January 17, 2011

Wheel Love

Black Sheep Gathering 1998.  I arrived mid-afternoon on the Thrusday before the Gathering opened.  Having found a good camping spot and gotten set up, I decided to head to the vendor halls and barns to see if anyone needed a hand setting up their stuff.  Someone did, and I spent the next hour or so helping one of the vendors haul stuff in.  

I was leaving the vendor area when I saw her.  She was standing alone in the middle of a booth, surrounded by lovely dyed silk blends.  An empty folding chair sat at her side, her cherry wood turnings seemed to glow  and piece of wool dangled enticingly from her flyer. "Take me for a spin" she whispered.  I resisted.   After all, the Gathering was not open for business until the following day.  "But you have a workshop in the morning and she'll be gone by the time you get here" whispered a voice in my ear.  I caved and took her for a trial spin.

She was good, she was great!  Smooth treadling with her double treadles though I only needed to use one.  Great take up, Scotch  tension and easy to adjust.  She had finials and turnings and a drive wheel mounted above the flyer.  Then there was that gorgeous factory finish on her cherry wood plus she came with extra pullies and bobbins.  I took a peak at her price tag.

Hmmmm....not too bad though obviously well used, she did come with extras....hey wait....I ran out of practice fiber!  Well, since I had spun up the vendor's entire supply of practice fibers before the Gathering even opened, I figured that I had to buy the wheel. 

There being no one around, I left a bit "SOLD" sign on the wheel along with my name, contact information, and when I would be by to pay the bill.  As things turned out, this is one of the best wheel buys I ever made because the wheel is so smooth that it went to the rehab hospital with me after my stroke.  She's a Jensen Tall Castle wheel and is made of cherry wood. 





1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful wheel! I had never seen a Jensen like this.

    ReplyDelete