Sunday, March 27, 2011

Duct tape does it again!

Since my stroke I’ve had nothing but problems with touchpads. Of course the stroke caused problems for me with typing - I can’t do some of the required finger stretching reaches  and sometimes my fingers tend to stick to the keys causing strings of repeated lettttttters.  But the touchpad has been a real problem.  It’s so sensitive that the mere touch of a sleeve causes it to do totally unwanted things - the cursor jumps, sometimes 2 or 3 t times within a single word or the whole program is lost along with all my input.  Since typing is now problematic in the first place, losing everything I’ve managed to write due to the damn touchpad being sensitive is.........well....upsetting, to say the least.

Yes, I know - the solution to the problem is to turn the touchpad off.  And I would do this if only I could find the place to do so.  I’ve looked in every single place that I can think of in an attempt to locate this function.  Not only can I not find a “turn off touchpad” functon, I can find nothing about the touchpad in the “help & support”menu. I have been searching for a way to disable this touchpad for....hmmmm.......something like 3 or 4 years now ever since I got this laptop.

Anyway, I was reading one of my e-mail list and someone posted about their new laptop and its sensitive touchpad and the problems they were having with the cursor jumping all over the place making typing pretty much impossible.  And because this was on Sheepthrills, of course someone had the answer.  The answer to ultrasensitive touchpads is (and this is very hi-tech): tape a piece of hard plastic or heavy cardboard over it. 

Duct Tape.  You can fix anything with duct tape.

1 comment:

  1. This is too funny! Been there done that....not the duct tape part but loosing everything b/c of ultrasensitive touchpad. I also searched high and low and could not find the button to turn it off. Dug deeper in the users manual and come to find out: my touchpad has a tiny little light at the upper left corner. You can't see the light when it is ON, but if you look closer there is a little eye there. Double tap with your index finger and the light goes ON, the touch pad goes OFF. My computer is a HP, others might be similar.

    ReplyDelete